Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 7: Add a little love to your cupcakes

Let me start by saying I am not a baker. I rarely ever bake anything that doesnt come in a box so this was a REAL challenge for me!

I found this idea from Made with Love's blog which is amazing and has so many great cupcake recipes and ideas! I was looking through pictures of fun cupcakes to bake and this is the one Carson picked for us to do together.

I used a white cake mix (from a box of course) but I did experiment a little with some lemon zest and lemon juice to add a little something extra to the recipe.

Once the cake batter is mixed, pour 1/3 of the mix into a deep square baking dish. Bake it at the temperature directed from the recipe for about 20 minutes, or until the cake is thick enough to hold up while cutting out heart shapes. Use a heart shaped cutter (I didnt have one and couldnt find one so I just free-hand cut my hearts with a small knife).



Pour a spoonfull of batter into each cupcake case and place the heart vertically in the batter and hold it straight up while you pour batter around the heart. Let the batter fill up about halfway of the heart. Then bake them at the temperature directed in the recipe.

My directions arent the greatest so if you want to know the best way to make these, follow the tutorial at Made with Love by me.

My cupcake didnt turn out as pretty as the pictures in the tutorials but this was such a fun project for Carson and I to do together and we had so much fun making a mess of the kitchen.
I tried to thicken up my icing to make it pretty like the professionals but by the time I whipped the camera out to snap a picture the icing had started falling : (


No comments:

Post a Comment