Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 3: Crayon Hearts


I do have a craft for today but first I have to share a few pictures I took of CJ today, he just turned 19 months. I have a bad habit of always taking Carson out if I want to shoot somewhere for fun so today I made it all about him. These were taken with my new camera and Im still experimenting with all of the awesome new settings I have to play with.





I just love him so much!!

 
On to Day 3's craft! I decided to move onto a craft that is a little more challenging today. Here is a tutorial I found on Martha Stewarts website of these crayon hearts. Hers are much prettier than mine!

Supplies
- crayons ($.47 at walmart on sale, I got 2 boxes)
- wax paper (around $3 at walmart and I got the name brand because I wanted to make sure it wouldnt rip)
- iron
-old towel or rag that you dont mind getting ruined
-if you decide to follow Marthas tutorail you will also need kraft paper (I didnt use it but I probably should have)
- super thin yarn, ribbon or string (I had tons laying around)
- decorative board to hang the hearts from (optional)
- handy dandy glue gun, or you could use tape


Set your work station up with all of your supplies. Make sure you put an old towel or rag over your ironing surface because the crayon will melt and stain the area if you arent careful. I also put down a piece of cardboard under the towel just to be safe. I placed the crayon shavings (I used all of the purple and pink crayons in the box) on the wax paper and then cut another piece the same size to place on top. I folded the towel over the top of the wax paper and started ironing until the crayon was good and melted and then ironed from the center out to the edges to get the melted crayon even all the way around. Once the entire paper was covered I let it cool (it only takes a minute).




From here you can either cut hearts free hand or you can trace out different size hearts and cut them out. Once you've finished you will need to cut as many strings as you have of hearts. To make it look really pretty cut the strings different sizes. Get your glue gun ready and start by dabbing a dot to the back of a crayon heart and attaching a string. Once you've finished all of them you can start to hot glue them to your decorative wood or item. I had an extra piece of wood left over from an earlier craft that I had already decorated but didnt know what I was going to do with it. It was perfect : ) I hot glued each string to the back of the wood piece making sure to spread them out and vary the lengths. I added some cute pink flowers and voila!! Its not quite the same effect as Marthas but its perfect for my little sweethearts room and she loves it!




I cant wait to put it up in her window and let the sunlight shine through it.
I already have a sheet of green and one of red made so I can make another that is Christmas themed.

1 comment:

  1. The pics of Caedon are sooooo beautiful, what a sweetie. You know I am craft-challenged but I love that you have that talent ; )

    ReplyDelete