Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day 1: Wall of Fame

I know its late... technically an hour into November 2nd but if you know me at all you were already expecting me to be running a little behind ; )

I have been so busy getting all of my supplies together that when I sat down tonight to kick off day 1 of my self challenge I didnt know where to start! So many ideas! So I picked one that is practical for my house and displays my favorite type of art, my childrens : )

I actually got this idea from a little of this, a little of that's blog (really cute, you should check it out).It is such a great idea and a super simple one to complete. My version might vary a little bit from hers but not a whole lot.

Supplies
(2) 1" by 4" pieces of wood, (cut the length according to the space you have set out for this display) I used some old boards I had already sitting around and already at a length that I was happy with.
3 boxes of large magnetic clips (there were 4 in a box at Wal-mart where I bought mine for around $2)
picture hangers to put on the back of the boards in order to hang the wood (wal-mart for around $2) Or if you wanted to get even craftier, you could attach decorative ribbon to the back for hanging.
Wood Glue (on sale at Wal-mart for $2)
As an extra I found some cute bubble letter stickers at Big Lots for $2 a sheet. I hadnt planned on using them for this but I did and love how they turned out.

Sorry for all the dark pictures, this was a night project since we were out all day and didnt get started until after the kiddies were in bed.

Spray paint the boards, we did pink for Carson and blue for CJ of course.


We added a little distressing to the boards by wiping some vaseline in random spots before spray painting, waiting for the paint to get almost dry and wiping it off with a paper towl. We let the blue board dry a little too much before wiping, its best when the paint is still a little damp so it will smear just a little.

After the boards were dry we added the hardware for hanging to the back.


Flipped it over and started working on the front. I added the sticker letters with the help of some spray adhesive.


I made them a little off center so I can go back and add some fun embellishments with Carsons help at a later date. Then we added our large paper clips with the wood glue. The glue takes a while to dry so we had to leave them sitting flat in the yard for about an hour before moving them inside to dry overnight.

Here is the space before...



Ignore the big white paint spot, I tried stenciling "Wall of Fame" over their brag boards but it was kind of a disaster. I think Im just going to hand paint it after I touch up the wall paint, but that is another craft for another day : )


Just a quick picture of some random art of Carsons I threw up there. The glue on the clips isnt quite set so I will have to let them lay flat through the night but I wanted to have a completed looking picture. I will update it with all of their newest works of art when the boards are dry!


I love how they turned out and Im so excited that my kids will now have a place in their room to proudly display their latest works of art.
This was such a fun project and Im so glad my hubby decided to help me out with this one. Nothing better than working together to create something new for the ones we love.


No comments:

Post a Comment